Background: Ohef Sholom Temple (OST) is an historic congregation that serves as the center of Reform Judaism in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. This waterfront community is a hidden gem – offering an endless array of attractions including museums, theaters, music venues, restaurants, breweries, parks, festivals, nightlife, and more. The synagogue is located in the heart of the vibrant Ghent neighborhood of Norfolk. With approximately 700 families, OST is a dynamic multi-generational community that prides itself on inclusivity. We are proud of our worship services, commitment to social action, and emphasis on Jewish education for people of all ages.
Position Summary: The ideal candidate is a motivated, creative, and energetic individual who exhibits a passion for Jewish life. This is someone who excels in coordinating all aspects of synagogue programming and activities from conception through execution, and also knows how to market and effectively get people to the events. The Event & Marketing Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with the clergy, Director of Lifelong Learning, other staff, and Committees to create a warm, caring, and vibrant environment for our members to engage with the synagogue.
- Partner with lay leaders and senior staff members to develop and implement programming that provides year-round engagement opportunities for all age groups. Oversee all event coordination, logistics, and follow-up.
- Create, implement, and utilize programming as a strategic opportunity to strengthen and build connections among congregants and to deepen their engagement with the synagogue; ensure that programming reflects our Congregation’s Jewish values and embraces inclusion.
- Respond to emerging and identified needs of congregants and develop a wide variety of quality experiences and innovative initiatives to meet those needs.
- Serve as liaison to auxiliary groups and committees involved in programming.
- Create and manage event registration
- Develop programming partnerships with Jewish and secular agencies in the community.
- Work with staff and lay leadership to create and maintain an internal framework, process, and system for communications to streamline messaging and strengthen brand across all media.
- Create and manage the master marketing calendar, mapping out anticipated communication touchpoints and timelines.
- Serve as liaison to all departments and committees/auxiliaries for all marketing and communications needs.
- Design and send weekly eblasts, other electronic communications, and other print, electronic and social media-focused marketing.
- Utilize a variety of social media platforms to drive community engagement around OST programs and activities.
- Manage website, ensuring it remains current and dynamic.
- Work with Graphics Designer to create and produce print and digital marketing materials (invitations, booklets, posters, directory, newsletter, postcards, brochures, letterhead, flyers, direct mail, ad tiles and other projects).
- Ensure relevant programs are included in community calendars and otherwise pushed out to the broader community.
- Take photos at events when appropriate and send to OST graphic designer to use in congregational publicity.
- Help promote upcoming programs/events through personalized communication with congregants and with the wider community.
- Event execution: Identifies the key objectives and scope of a proposed project as well as the detailed logistics for successful execution; garners needed resources and project support; develops a realistic and thorough plan for achieving key objectives; keeps team members briefed on progress; implements action plans; resolves barriers and problems.
- Creativity and Innovation: A highly motivated, creative, and strategic thinker who seeks out new and creative ways to engage people of all ages, takes acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation; learns from mistakes; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work.
- Written communication: Can write clearly and succinctly; can get messages across that have a desired effect; clearly articulates message content and projects an appropriate tone. Strong written skills; proficient social media skills; experience creating attractive digital flyers.
- Interpersonal skills: Team player who establishes good working relationships with colleagues and works well with people at all levels of the organization; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Professional work experience in event planning and/or marketing/ communications preferred, including digital and print communications, websites, social media
- Fluency with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and other social media platforms.
- Proficiency with online video platforms such as Zoom, AV/streaming equipment, Facebook Live, YouTube, and Vimeo.
- Working knowledge of Canva, Mailchimp, WordPress,
- Excellent computer and technology skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Google Suite, and CRM
- Strong organizational and collaborative skills.
- Must be able to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Flexibility with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and move rapidly from one project to another.
- Knowledgeable about Jewish customs, traditions, rituals, and culture.
- Ability to accept guidance, constructive feedback and support.
- Ability to work flexible hours needed to complete job requirements, including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to walk, sit and stand for extended periods of time and able to lift 25 lbs.
This is a full time, salaried, in-person position with some ability to work remotely. Hours are flexible, some nights and weekends are required. Salary range is $40,000-$50,000, commensurate with education, qualifications, and experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, and paid holidays and time off.
All employees are subject to a background check.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.