The Worship Committee responds to the worship needs of congregants by continuing to work with the clergy to develop creative, meaningful religious and spiritual Sabbath and holiday services.
Worship Committee Mission Statement:
To sustain Ohef Sholom Temple as “A House of Prayer for all People” by working with the clergy to develop creative, meaningful, and spiritual Sabbath and holiday services which enhance the worship experience while being responsive to the needs of our congregants.
Committee Activities Include the Following:
- Offering support to the Rabbi and Cantor at their request
- Upholding the Rabbi and Cantor’s freedom of the pulpit
- Considering the selection and use of prayer books for Shabbat and High Holy Day (HHD) services
- Offering creative suggestions for services
- Seeking ways to increase attendance at services
- Reviewing logistics of Shabbat and HHD services such as ushering, children’s services, and signage
- Reviewing the timing of worship services
- Recommending and providing for special services such as Women of Reform Judaism, Men’s Club, and pulpit exchanges
- Considering other matters in conjunction with Reform Judaism practices as they may affect the worship experience.
Members consist of a Chairperson and Co-chair and at least five additional members, preferably representing the broad spectrum of our congregation. The Rabbi and the Cantor are members of the Committee and the Committee’s primary resource.
Meetings are held as needed, usually bi-monthly with additional meetings held to aid the clergy and the office to prepare for the HHDs.
Current Committee Membership
Margaret Sawyer, Chair
Bert Newfield, Co-Chair and Recording Secretary